BE UNCOMMON – BACK TO SCHOOL SUNDAY
“Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.”
Romans 12:2 ESV
OPENING (PICK ONE OR MORE): In what ways are your attitudes and behaviors UNCOMMON from those you live, work, study and play with on a regular basis? In what ways could they be?
TEXT: Read Romans 11:33-12:13 while focusing in on Romans 12:1-2.
1. Romans 12:1-2: What word or phrase stands out to you as you read this passage? Are there any promises for us to claim in these verses? Are there any commands we should obey? Where do you find the concept of being UNCOMMON in this passage? How would your life be different if you applied this passage to your life? What are the hurdles in your present situation that might be keeping you from applying this passage daily?
2. Romans 11:33-36: What does Paul want us to know about God? Who is He and what is He doing in this world? How do these verses set the stage or foundation for being UNCOMMON? What does Paul mean by the glory of God? How do we glorify in our everyday experiences?
3. Romans 12:1: Why do you think Paul had to encourage/exhort/urge these Roman Christians? What are the mercies of God? How have they impacted your life? The Jewish culture was familiar with presenting sacrifices to God. How do you think they interpreted this appeal by Paul? How does Paul want the non-Jewish believer to apply this passage? When you read “spiritual worship” what does that mean to you? How would you evaluate your worship this past Sunday and the days leading up to it, using this new standard of worship?
4. Romans 12:2: A) Do Not Conform. In what ways do you tend to conform to the patterns of the world? In what ways do you tend to not conform? B) Be Transformed. What role does Scripture play in transforming your mind? Other than Scripture how can we renew our minds daily? C) Discern the Will of God. How does a Christian discover the will of God for their lives? Does the discerning of God’s will lead to an UNCOMMON life or does living an UNCOMMON life lead to discerning the will of God for your life?
5. CHRISTIAN EDUCATION: What role does a Christian education play in living out Romans 12? How would Paul define what it means to have a BIBLICAL WORLDVIEW? According to Paul what might be some of the key elements of developing a Biblical worldview? In what ways does HCS play a role in impacting and influencing our community for the glory of God?
NEXT STEP: Evaluate your thoughts and behaviors as it relates to living an UNCOMMON life. Repent and make the necessary adjustments to live a Romans 12 type of life. Pray for HCS school and staff!