DEATH TO LIFE; FOR GOODNESS SAKE
Ephesians 2:1-10, August 12th, 2018
“For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.”
Ephesians 2:10 ESV
OPENING (PICK ONE OR MORE): As you reflect on this summer, is the direction of your life moving closer to God or moving farther away from him? Do you hunger less or more for the Word of God?
TEXT: Read Ephesians 2:1-10 using a variety of translations.
1. Ephesians 2:1-10: What does this passage teach us about who God is and what he has done for us? What does Paul want us to know about who we are and how we should live? Are there any promises for us to claim or any commandments for us to follow in these verses? What is one word that you would choose to best describe this section?
2. Ephesians 2:1-3: What does Paul want us to know about our past? What does it mean to be dead in our trespasses and sins? What is the difference in your mind between a trespass and a sin? Do you know any “sons of disobedience” today? Considering this passage, how should we respond to them? According to Paul is there such a thing as a good person, who doesn’t know Christ? Is there any part of your past that is keeping you from following Christ today?
3. Ephesians 2:4-7: What role does God play in your salvation (deliverance from the penalty of sin and the power of sin)? What role do you play in your salvation? What is mercy? In what ways has God been merciful to you in both the past and the present? Why is God’s love considered so great for you? Do you feel greatly loved by God right now? Why or why not?
4. Ephesians 2:4-7: Paul describes three powerful expressions of God’s love for us: 1) HE MADE US ALIVE, 2) HE RAISED US UP and 3) HE SEATED US. Which of these powerful expressions means the most to you at this moment? In what ways do you feel more alive today than when you walked in death? How does the resurrected power of Christ impact the daily life of the Christian? “Seated” implies victory and rest. What does victory and rest look like for you?
5. Ephesians 2:8-10: According to Paul, how is a person saved? In your eyes, what is grace? What role do good works play in your salvation? Being “IN CHRIST” is essential for living a good and godly life. How has Christ in you, and you in Christ changed your life?
NEXT STEP: Pick a verse or this whole passage to memorize this week. Write a mission statement for your life using verses 2:8-10. Find an accountability partner to encourage you to walk in goodness.