GRACE > CIRCUMSTANCES: YOU CAN’T OUTRUN THE GRACE OF GOD
1 Peter 5:1-14
“See to it that no one fails to obtain the grace of God; and that no “root of bitterness” springs up and causes trouble, and by it many become defiled.” Hebrews 12:15 ESV
OPENING: What are some of the ways that Christians miss out on the grace of God?
TEXT: Read 1 Peter 5:1-11 slowly and in different translations. Read the full context later this week.
1. What is the main idea that Peter wanted his readers who were facing persecution to know in his final chapter? What role does the church (elders/flock) play in experiencing grace amid bad circumstances? Which verse provides the most comfort for you? Which verse is the most challenging for you to accept? How does a believer experience God’s grace during suffering?
2. Do you have a healthy perspective on being disappointed with God? Why do you think that Peter was standing firm in the true grace of God? How has or do you want God to display his grace in your hardships? Do you believe this; GRACE > CIRCUMSTANCES? What are some examples of circumstances that some Christians face that appear to be greater than God’s grace?
3. Peter had a multifaceted perspective on grace! How would your life be different if you viewed God’s grace through a different type of lens? 1 Peter 1:2 – How is God’s grace and peace multiplied in our lives? 1:4 – How did the prophets view God’s grace before Christ? 1:13 – How does a believer set their hope fully on God’s grace? 2:19-25 – Why is unjust suffering considered a gracious gift from God? 3:7 – What does it mean for husbands and wives to be co-heirs of the grace of life? 4:7-11 – What role does serving others within the body of Christ play in God’s unleashing of grace in tough times? 5:5 – How does one practice humility while experiencing hardship? 5:10 – What is keeping you from experiencing the grace and strength of God in your circumstance?
4. Fill in the blanks: (talk about any that are keeping you from experiencing God’s grace)
My greatest mistake is < GRACE!
My greatest pain is < GRACE!
My greatest weakness is < GRACE!
My current circumstance is < GRACE!
5. `DIG DEEPER: 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18. Is it possible to give thanks in all circumstances? What role does gratitude play in allowing God’s grace to be greater than our circumstances? How would your circumstance be different if you chose gratitude rather than a bad attitude?
NEXT STEP: Take some time this week to reflect on God’s grace. Prayerfully ask yourself about the ways that you are potentially missing out on the grace of God. List a couple of ways you can pursue God’s grace.