HEART HEALTHY SUMMER SERIES: GUARD YOUR HEART
Proverbs 4:20-27 (LESSON 1) June 3rd, 2018
“KEEP VIGILANT WATCH OVER YOUR HEART; THAT’S WHERE LIFE STARTS” Proverbs 4:23 MSG
OPENING: As of today, how would you describe the condition of your heart from the list below and why?
Hard Soft Anxious Busy Broken Angry Distracted Pure Confused Messy Joyful Dead
TEXT: Read Proverbs 4:20-27 using a variety of translations if possible?
1. What does the father want his son to know about life? Why does he want his son to embrace his teachings? Which aspect of human life is the father emphasizing the most; physical, emotional, social, intellectual or spiritual? If you sense it is a combination, what are the primary combinations of emphasis?
2. The heart is the most important description of human life in the Bible. It appears 46 times in Proverbs alone. First, what are your initial impressions of what “heart” means? Second, what does “heart” mean to the father in Proverbs 4:23? Third, what did it mean before we even get to 4:23 (see 3:1, 3:3, 3:5 and 4:21)?
3. The heart can receive and give. How does one on the path of righteousness receive and how does one give? What role do our eyes, our ears and our feet play in protecting our heart? Is the father concerned about behavior modification in his son or is he seeking something better? Is there anything that you are listening to or watching that is unhealthy for your heart?
4. Life is a choice. Many Americans including those who are Christians believe that our feelings control our actions, but Proverbs teaches us that our actions determine our feelings. In what ways are you letting your feelings/emotions control your actions? In what ways have your actions been controlling your feelings/emotions? What is the primary choice the father wants his son to make?
5. DIG DEEPER: Read Proverbs 4:10-27. Compare Proverbs 4:10-19 with 4:20-27. What are the key words and points of emphasis in each section? How are they different in their instruction? What other verses in the Bible compare equally to Proverbs 4:23? What action steps do you need to make today to start walking down the path of life? What hurdles do you need to avoid?
6. THE 40 DAY JOY CHALLENGE. During this series we encourage everyone to sign-up and start the FREE 40 Day Joy Challenge. Go to www.joychallenge.com, and us coupon code: HCC818.
NEXT STEP: Create a game plan on how you are going to watch/protect/guard your heart. Find an accountability partner to help you on that journey. Start walking and living a better life today.