HEART HEALTHY SUMMER SERIES: PEACE OF GOD
Philippians 4:2-9 (LESSON 2) June 10th, 2018
“And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:7 ESV
OPENING: What role does faulty thinking play in stealing our peace and joy? List some faulty thoughts that Christians struggle with in their lives. What are some of your own harmful and unhealthy thoughts?
TEXT: Read Philippians 4:2-9 in the ESV and the Message.
1. What does Paul want the reader to know about the peace of God? What does it mean to be anxious? Are you an anxious person? If so, what are you worried about? What are the hurdles in your life that are keeping you from the peace of God that Paul describes? How would your life be different if you replaced anxiety, stress and worry with joy and peace?
2. Rejoice in the Lord always! Why does Paul repeat “REJOICE” twice? Life is a mixture of the good, the bad and the ugly. What does it look like to rejoice when life is bad or ugly? How might an attitude of rejoicing defeat an anxious heart? What role does gratitude play in rejoicing always? Paul specifically mentions to rejoice IN THE LORD! How does one’s relationship with our Lord, change the way we think and even react to life? Is your joy in the Lord or in something else?
3. Be gentle and kind. Do you know someone who is a person of gentleness? What do they do or say that makes them gentle and kind? What are some steps you can take to practice gentleness in your life? Why do you think Paul urged the Philippian Christians to pursue a life of gentleness and kindness? It is hard to stay angry at someone while at the same time doing acts of kindness for them! How would your relationships be different if you displayed more gentleness and kindness towards others?
4. The Lord is near. What does it look like for you to connect with the Lord daily? Do you talk to the Lord on regular basis? If so, what do you talk about? Do you practice Bible memorization? If so, what are you memorizing? How might memorization or meditation impact the Lord’s presence in one’s life? If the Lord is near or present, what role does His presence play in experiencing peace?
5. DIG DEEPER: Read Philippians 4:8-9. Make a list of the virtues that Paul talks about in these two verses. Define them and describe what they mean to you. Why is mediation upon “these things” good for the heart? Are there any virtues that you would like to add to Paul’s list? How would your life be different if you spent 10 to 15 minutes a day thinking and praying about these things? Which of these verses increase your peace and joy; Philippians 1:6, 1:21, 2:13, 3:14 and 4:13?
6. THE 40 DAY JOY CHALLENGE. During this series we encourage everyone to sign-up and start the FREE 40 Day Joy Challenge. Go to www.joychallenge.com, and us coupon code: HCC818.
NEXT STEP: Ask someone to be your spiritual running partner during this series. Review your diet of mental thoughts. What needs to go and what needs to be added? Write down one next step for tomorrow.